Sunday, June 13, 2010

Do you trust the FCC?

The Huffington Post has the an excellent argument against FCC enforcement of net neutrality. While I certainly distrust big ISPs and don't doubt that they have selfish motives, I also distrust the government to some degree in their ability to regulate the Internet without messing with it. The article cites examples of FCC censorship in the past, and asks the question, "do you want your Internet censored as well?"

Until I read this article, I was definitely a supporter of the FCC enforcing net neutrality, but now I'm not so sure. I really hope that wireless broadband can solve the issue by giving consumers more options as to who their ISP is. (rather than being forced to subscribe through whoever their local provider happens to be.) This would put a lot more power into the hands of the consumer. We would have the option of not doing business with an ISP based on the way they run their network and the quality of service they offer. This would in turn encourage them to provide better service. Problems would of course occur if all of them had non-neutral networks.

I'm not sure what other solutions exist, but I sure hope neither the FCC or the ISPs do what certainly seems possible in the very near future - ruin the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment